5 Tips on How to Use Thieves Oil for a Sore Throat (With Recipes!)
Using Thieves Oil for a sore throat is a great way to support your immune system, while relieving the pain and dryness that accompany a sore throat.
Now, if you’re not familiar with thieves oil, it’s an essential oil blend that typically contains:
- cinnamon oil
- Eucalyptus oil
- Clove oil
- lemon oil
- Rosemary oil
All of these ingredients are anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, and immune-boosting, which is why they work so well for sore throats!
So if you’re interested in learning how to use Thieves essential oil to soothe a sore throat, keep reading!
By the end of this post you will know:
- the main benefits of thieves essential oil for sore throat.
- how to safely use thieves oil as a sore throat remedy.
- where to get thieves oil (or make your own if you prefer!).
Note: This post contains some affiliate links and I may earn a commission if you use them.
HOW THIEVES ESSENTIAL OIL HELPS SORE THROATS
Thieves oil has a variety of benefits including:
- fight inflammation.
- killing bacteria, viruses and fungi.
- boosting the immune system.
- ease the pain
- Improve circulation and congestion.
- combat oxidative stress.
In a previous post on how to use essential oils for a sore throat, i discussed the benefits of each oil in the thieves blend in greater detail.
Here’s a quick rundown to give you an idea of what each oil brings to the table:
|Cinnamon||anti-inflammatory, improves circulation and congestion|
|Nail||pain reliever, immune booster, anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial|
|Lemon||Immune Boost, Detox Aid, Antimicrobial|
|Rosemary||anti-inflammatory, pain reliever, antiviral, antibacterial|
TIPS ON HOW TO USE THIEVES OIL FOR SORE THROAT
There are 5 ways you can use thieves oil to get rid of a shore throat:
- make a throat spray
- diffuse oils
- do a steam inhalation
- do a throat massage
- gargle with oils
1. Make a Thieves Oil Spray for a Sore Throat
Thieves Oils Throat Spray is a flexible and portable option for treating a sore throat.
These are the steps to make your own spray.
10 drops of thieves oil
1 ounce glass spray bottle
- Fill the bottle with water and then add the essential oils.
- Close the bottle and shake to mix the ingredients.
- Spray one to two pumps toward the back of the throat as needed.
2. Steam inhalation
- In a bowl filled with hot water, add 2-3 drops of thieves oil.
- Lean over the bowl and place a towel over your head.
- Inhale the vapors for approximately 10 minutes.
Note: if the steam feels too intense, remove the towel.
3. Diffuse Thieves Oil for Sore Throat
- Depending on the size of your diffuser, place 3 or more drops of Thieves oil in your diffuser.
- Diffuse for 30 minutes.
- Be sure to take at least an hour break before diffusing again. This will help give your sinuses a break from the potentially irritating effects of the essential oils.
4. Make your own throat salve with oil from Thieves
Since Thieves Oil contains photosensitive oils (such as lemon) and known skin irritants (such as clove and cinnamon), start with a 1% dilution when swabbing your throat.
If no skin irritation occurs, you can increase to 9 drops of thieves oil (2% dilution) or 13 drops (3% dilution).
4 drops of thieves oil
1 tablespoon (1/2 oz.) light oil (such as almond, grapeseed, or fractionated coconut oil)
1 ounce glass bottle
- Add the essential oils and the light oil into the glass bottle.
- Close the bottle and rotate it between your hands to mix the ingredients.
- Massage a generous amount onto the throat and neck area several times a day.
5. Thieves Oil to Gargle
Here is a quick and easy way to use Thieves Oil as a gargle:
- Add 3 drops of Thieves essential oil to 1 tablespoon of warm water.
- Gargle for up to 30 seconds.
- Repeat every 4 hours.
What drink helps a sore throat?
Hot drinks like tea are better for a sore throat.
In addition, a glass of warm water with lemon, or hot broths and soups, are also perfect to soothe a sore throat.
Can I make my own thieves oil?
You absolutely can! Here’s an awesome thieves DIY recipe you can use.
Is thieves oil safe for pregnancy?
Thieves oil contains cinnamon and clove oil, which are No safe for pregnancy. Therefore, it is better to avoid using thieves essential oil during pregnancy.
What can I do for a sore throat during pregnancy?
When it comes to essential oils, you can use lavender, tea tree, ginger, eucalyptus, sandalwood, and peppermint oils during pregnancy.
They are all great for sore throats. Be sure to read this guide on essential oils for pregnancy for details on how to properly dilute oils during pregnancy.
In addition to essential oils, the American Pregnancy Association He also recommends drinking hot tea and gargling with salt water.
As we’ve seen, Thieves essential oils are just what your body needs when you have a sore throat.
Now, before we wrap up, please note that there are several brands that do a blend with all, or most, of the thieves oils.
The most famous is the four thieves Young Living Blend. Below are a few other mixes with fairly similar ingredients.
|BRAND + OIL||INGREDIENTS|
|young life: Oil of the four thieves||cinnamon, eucalyptus, cloves, lemon|
|Eden’s garden: fighting five||cinnamon, eucalyptus, cloves, lemon, rosemary|
|doTerra: On guard||cinnamon, eucalyptus, cloves, wild orange peel, rosemary|
|plant therapy: germ fighter||cinnamon, eucalyptus, cloves, lemon, rosemary|
Feel free to buy from the brand that you like the most!
How to use mint for a sore throat
Thank you! Please check your email for your plan.